The All Clear Foundation searches hundreds of resources to find what’s most relevant to you as first responders and their families. Much of the information provided can help and assist retirees also. Below are two of videos found through All Clear that can be helpful to you.
The All Clear Foundation has access to classes, services, wellness advice, and more. You can learn more about the All Clear Foundation by visiting their website.
DEEP BREATHING EXERCISE VIDEO
The Iverson Foundation for Active Awareness (IAFF) in partnership with Resounding Joy brings you a deep breathing exercise video from their music resiliency program to help manage and relieve stress. You can access the video here.
BRINING THE DARKNESS INTO THE LIGHT VIDEO
The second is a video by Ashley Iverson – ‘Bringing the Darkness Into the Light’, sheds light on how ONE incident can change the life of a Firefighter or Police Officer as well as their families. You can watch that video here.
The one important item that I learned thru our many hours of training was that ‘the mental pictures never go away.’ Know that you can always change the words to the pictures. Also, know that there is help and assistance out there.
This year there are relatively modest rate changes and few adjustments to benefits as we enter Open Enrollment for retirees November 1st through 30th. The changes are as follows:
• Kaiser non-Medicare rates for 2021 will increase 6.28 percent.
• Kaiser Medicare plan rates will decrease 9.1 percent.
• Anthem non-Medicare plan rates will increase 8.0 percent, while its Medicare Advantage rate will decrease 5.6 percent. It will continue to be a no-cost plan for retirees.
• Anthem Advantage PPO rate will decrease 6.1 percent. This plan will for the first time also be a no-cost plan for retirees.
• There are no changes to the plans or the rates for vision insurance or dental insurance.
• We have one significant benefit modification to report that is a response to the COVID pandemic. Kaiser Sr. Advantage California plan is replacing the Silver & Fit free gym membership with a Meals and Transportation Benefit instead. This applies only to Kaiser Senior Advantage members who are in California plans.
Get the full Retirement Services Newsletter here.
Previously, we informed you on the effort to potentially litigate on the issue of cancer-causing chemicals contained in manufactured products including firefighting foams and firefighter turnouts among others. A civil suit has now been filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court. You can view the lawsuit here. If you have been diagnosed with cancer and believe you have been exposed to these chemicals in your career, and are interested in potentially joining the suit, you can contact retired SJFD Battalion Chief Richard Seal, Esq., who is Of Counsel to Pritzker Levine, at 408-623-3519, or firm partner, Elizabeth Pritzker, at 415-805-8532.